Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I want to but.....

Deciding to sit for a certification exam is a tough and personal decision. There are so many reasons why it isn’t a good time or next year is a better time. I had been in the business for fourteen years but I still wasn’t sure if it was “what I wanted to be when I grew up.” Why should I expend all of that energy if this is not what I was going to be doing? In addition it costs money!!! So now I am considering something that will make me have to study and spend some hard earned cash. I live at the beach remember? So let’s see study 2 HUGE textbooks or go to the beach. You can see where I am going with this! That being said it is my responsibility to continue to grow and improve my skills. Ultimately it makes me a more valuable employee.

I worked for myself in 2004 so the money came out of my own pocket but I had flexibility with my time. If you are in a position where your employer doesn’t financially support you taking the exam have a discussion with them about allowing you two hours a week for study time. I have spoken with many of our CMP study group members who have said that customers were more comfortable knowing they were working with someone who had the designation. With that knowledge as ammunition I recommend a frank discussion with your employer. Be prepared! Ask some of your top customers how they feel about the designation. Do they consider it when looking at other locations? Bring these examples to your discussion. Ideally your employer would support your growth both financially and with study time. Do not be surprised if they have a caveat on their support. I.e. they may reimburse expenses 1) if you pass the exam, 2) after 6 months of employment or 3) cover a portion of the expenses. These are fair requests.

For me six years have passed and I still wonder if I know “what I want to be when I grow up.” Who wants to grow up anyway! If this is something you have been considering take the next step and remember: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Confucius

No comments:

Post a Comment